Let’s say you want to quit your 9-to-5 job and be your own boss writing about…fashion, for example. In this article we’re going to take a look at how to make money by blogging about fashion.
You might think that it’s impossible to make money online by writing about your passion, whether it’s fashion, food, electronics, gaming, travel, relationships, skin care products, whatever.
But with a little internet know-how and a platform to help you, you can earn a living blogging about…really, anything!
Including fashion. Especially fashion.
Here’s what you don’t need to worry about:
- Being a fantastic writer
- You need only the ability to communicate in a conversational way, like you’re talking to friends or people who want to know what you know
- Having an elaborate computer with fancy graphics capability
- You need only reliable access to the Internet and some social media accounts, or the willingness to set them up
- Spending hundreds of dollars up front to get started
- You will have to spend a little money at some point, like any business — because that’s what this is, your business — but at first, you can do this totally for free
You can start right now FOR FREE by CLICKING HERE and joining my Fashion Writers Team, and you’ll be personally mentored by me at no additional cost. Seriously, you don’t even have to input your credit card information. I’ve been writing for more than 40 years, have published three books and numerous articles, and now earn money by publishing blogs.
But first, let me throw in a dose of reality…
A hard truth: making money by blogging means advertising
When I started writing, I wanted to write about my interests, have people read it, and somehow make a living from that. I hadn’t really though it through.
Since then, I’ve learned that I can still write about what I want — really about anything I want to — provided that I find a way to connect my audience with advertisers who want to get in front of that audience.
There is a solution!
The solution to my question of how to make money by blogging about what I wanted to is affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is a specific kind of “performance-based marketing” in which an advertiser pays you, the writer, when someone clicks through an advertisement or link in your article and makes a purchase.
I’ll give you an example.
Let’s say I wanted to write about fashion. I love pearl snap shirts — truly, I do — and have written a lot of articles about them. I own dozens of pearl snap shirts, even though I’m from New York City. (I now live in Texas surrounded by cowboys wearing Stetsons.)
So let’s say I wanted to write an article about snap shirts and make money off of that article. I’ll provide the following example, which then I’ll explain (so come back after this opens in a new tab!):
CLICK ON THIS LINK HERE and then come back so I can explain how it can make money. (Don’t worry, it’s a safe link; promise! It’ll take you to an Amazon page advertising a snap shirt.)
Glad you’re back!
Here’s how I can make money from your visit to Amazon just now:
- Amazon pays me a percentage for items when purchased through my blogs.
- One of the blogs I’ve monetized and which I use to write about my hobby (travel) is here at Small Town USA.
- If you look around there, you’d see a combination of ads along the right-hand sidebar — which I select personally so that they “fit” the look and feel of my blog, and so that readers feel welcomed there and want to come back — and links and images in my articles which lead to advertisers. When people purchase products, I make money.
Is it really this easy?
(Don’t you hate those sentences in articles like this?!)
It is this straightforward.
You can write literally about anything — so long as it relates somehow to an audience that will buy services or products from your site.
Perhaps the most essential thing you need to learn about is how to use something called keywords, which you might already know about. But mastering the use of keywords is mastering the Internet, which allows you to make money.
Knowing how to use the right keywords means you can drive traffic to your site, and more traffic means more potential customers and more clicks on those ads and more potential sales, which means more money.
But without knowledge of keywords you probably won’t earn much money online, and it will be very frustrating. There’s just too much noise out there, and you need a competitive edge. There’s no need to feel frustrated, because like anything in life, when you learn how to do something, and do it well, you can succeed.
The most powerful platform on the Internet: Wealthy Affiliate
So: straight talk.
In mid-May, I joined a platform called Wealthy Affiliate, the most popular affiliate marketing program in the world, which has a totally free Starter membership and also a Premium Membership ($19 for the first month and $49 each month thereafter). No credit card is required to join as a Starter.
I was so impressed after using Wealthy Affiliate as a Starter for 24 hours — and after at first sending lots of messages to the founder, Kyle Loudon, expressing my skepticism — that I signed up as a Premium member. That was May 14.
I haven’t regretted it for a moment. It has offered me a new sense of freedom and a new revenue stream.
If you doubt me, I would urge you to try it out for three or four days and quit it if you don’t find it valuable. There’s nothing to lose!
There are more than 300,000 active members, all of whom are starting or have started businesses writing blogs that are monetized like my “Small Town USA” one is. Aside from the practical experience I’ve gotten there, it’s a truly amazing community of entrepreneurs.
I feel encouraged every day.
Just so you know some differences between a Starter membership (totally free, no credit card needed), and a Premium membership, here’s a chart showing them:
Here are the steps you take:
- Join Wealthy Affiliate either for FREE or as a Premium member.
- Start the Training track called “Online Entrepreneur Certification.” The free membership gives you the basics.
- Consider joining Premium. The first month is only $19 with no further obligation, and you can get additional training and tons of benefits with this. (It’s not required, but as I said, and speaking for myself, it has been totally worth it.)
- Create your fashion blog, and start writing!
- Join affiliate programs and place either banner ads or links within content. Links do better, by the way.
- Start earning money. NOTE: it ain’t gonna happen your first week! It takes some hard work but I promise–it will pay off.
Join our Fashion Writers Team today
I can’t promise you that success will come easy.
But if you’re willing to work, you can totally do this. I can and will help you. I’m at a stage in my life having raised three kids of my own that I enjoy helping others succeed.
There are members of Wealthy Affiliate from age 16 to 80 — I’ve met them online — and from almost every continent. Everyone is there to start a business and make money, so we all feel like we’re in this together.
During this crazy pandemic, this is one of the few things each of us can do to make money…no matter where we are. And it’s really a lot of fun, too!
It’s up to you.