A lot of us are working from home, either by choice or not. So while we’re at home, we might as well finds ways to generate incremental income or find a new full-time gig. This might be the time to look into how to make money with blogging.
Simple: it’s you creating a website around a topic that either you know about or are willing to learn about. Something that you find interesting. If making a website sounds intimidating, it’s easier than you think, and I can give you some starter tips below and suggest a platform I use.
We use a type of internet business called affiliate marketing, where you are the “publisher” and advertisers use your website to advertise through. (There are several good affiliate marketing platforms out there. I use one called Wealthy Affiliate. To take a quick look for free, CLICK HERE. You have to fill out a couple fields, but no credit card is needed.)
What is affiliate marketing?
“Affiliate marketing” is having a website that contains ads or links that visitors click on and, if they make purchases, you earn income.
“Whooooaaaa!” you say. “That’s what I see every day on all the sites I visit and I NEVER click on those things.”
Well, I usually don’t either. But there’s more to it.
You’re right that all those pop-ups and sidebar ads, including Google ads are super annoying. I can’t remember the last time I clicked on one. But I’m suggesting something a little different.
The best click-throughs come from you writing about something you know about and are writing a review about, something that the visitor has been specifically searching the internet for. You provide links that lead the visitor to those products or services when they are ready to buy them. When they buy, you make money.
I’ll give you an example.
The photo to the right shows a guest house that I reviewed for another blog I have where I write about small town life and offerings.
The colored link that I’ve put a yellow box around is one of several links in this review that lead an interested viewer to that service. Every time someone clicks through here and makes a reservation, I get a commission.
How do people get to this site to see the review?
I use “keywords,” which I’ve covered in another article (CLICK HERE). In fact, if you just clicked on that link to the article about keywords (or were about to), I’ve just demonstrated how you make money by blogging. If you were curious to learn more about keywords, you might have clicked over to that other article. If this were a product or service that you bought, I’d make money!
That’s how you make money by blogging. You can write informational articles, which build your credibility on a topic. Or, ideally, you write reviews on a product or service in which you contain links that people click on.
Examples of topics and reviews you can write:
- HEALTH: the best treadmill
- MANAGING MONEY: the best money management app for iPhone or Android
- FISHING: the latest reel
And so on.
There’s really nothing you can’t write about. Like I said above, though, either you need to be fairly knowledgeable about a topic or willing to learn.
It’s that simple, but it takes some work, patience, and persistence. If you want to try it for free, I can help. I’ve created several websites and have also helped people get started with their own.
How does this generate income?
The first thing you need to do is build authority in your topic.
You do so several ways.
- PUBLISHING FREQUENCY — Ideally, you want to write 3 or 4 articles per week. I take typically around an hour to 90 minutes per article.
- CONTENT QUALITY AND VARIETY — You want your articles to be 750-1500 words each, written well with several elements that search engines value (sentences and paragraphs that aren’t too long; sub-heads every now and then; your keyword repeated several times, etc.)
- VISITOR ENGAGEMENT & YOUR ENGAGEMENT WITH THEM — You really want to encourage comments on your site and then respond to visitors. This makes search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo (the main three) “trust you.”
- GOOGLE RANKED — This is the biggie. Another article I wrote was about places to eat in my area of Texas. I used a good keyword, wrote a good article, and helped direct traffic to it with a variety of ways, and I got enough traffic to get “ranked” on Google. Google searches have an overwhelming market share, about 90%. And when we search for something online, we often go to sites that are listed only on the first page of results, right? So if you’re not on the first page, you will miss most traffic. Therefore, knowing how to use effective keywords is vital. I’ve had this review of a restaurant ranked on Google and it’s been ranked on Bing and Yahoo for almost a year.
After building authority, you need to have “affiliate relationships” with advertisers.
The platform I use has a simple-to-use listing of advertisers to sign up with. (You don’t pay to sign up with them; they want to find websites like yours to advertise through.)
While we’re on the subject of platforms, you should do due diligence and look at others. HERE IS AN INDEPENDENT ARTICLE on Wealthy Affiliate and its competitors.
Can I start for free?
If you want to try Wealthy Affiliate, here are a few promises and the “fine print,” too (from my experience):
- PROMISE — It’s free to start and you don’t need to put in your credit card. So it’s not like signing up for a free online fax service that will charge you unless you cancel. This is free. FREE.
- Fine print — It costs money, obviously, to upgrade to a Premium membership, and this is of course where most of the benefits are. You can still get good training for free, and I will mentor for free. Seriously — PROMISE — for free.
- PROMISE — I mentioned mentoring. I have a mentor through Wealthy Affiliate. His name is Gary Horton. He’s awesome. When I have a question, I go to Gary. If you were to join, you could actually connect with Gary and thousands of others, too.
- Fine print — There’s very little fine print here. You get mentoring from me, and you can connect with others.
- PROMISE — You will make money. Thousands have done it. I have done it.
- Fine print — It does take patience. This is NOT a get-rich-quick deal. You have to work and work hard. But, like anything, hard work brings rewards.
Free Training + Community = Income
So, I hope this has shown you a little about how to make money with blogging.
If you’re ready to start, CLICK HERE. I’d love to have you on my team.
My name is Howard Freeman, and I live near San Antonio, Texas with my family of five. I’d love to help you be successful.